Monday, April 13, 2009

Monday, April 13th Daily Post

Good Morning Lunch-boxers!

I trust everyone had a good Easter weekend and are ready to get back on track for the week ahead. If you're like me, you ate a little too much yesterday and feel excited about getting back on a normal eating routine. The food and company over the weekend was wonderful, but I'm ready to be back on track! Is everyone ready? Here we go:

I have a challenge for everyone this week (well, 2):

  • First Challenge is for everyone to pack their lunch at least 3 times this week. There's 4 more days left and so that gives you one free day or one day to prepare for it.

  • Second challenge is to change one habit that you have for 3 days.

Here are some ideas for packed lunches (and for those that work at home, pack it in the morning right when you wake up or before you go to bed and throw it in the fridge for easy access)

  1. tupperware of greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, sugar snap peas and carrots with some spray dressing. 1/2 cup of cottage cheese
  2. 1/2 of a tuna salad sandwich (or full one if you need a bit more). Make sure you don't put much mayo in the tuna and feel free to load all the veggies in the pita or on the bread but stay away from the unnecessary slice of cheese! If you just do a half of a sandwich, grab a small snack-size bag of baked lays to go with it or a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese
  3. Peanut butter and jelly sandwich: Make sure it's whole grain bread, natural peanut butter and low sugar jelly.
  4. Frozen meal: Although I would rather no one fell back on this option all week, they are rather convenient but it takes awhile to weed out the bad meals. Try healthy choice, smart ones or the kashi meals but make sure there's at least 5 grams of fiber in it and low sodium and sugar! Anything can be labeled healthy and it would have no fiber and tons of sodium so beware!
  5. Veggie Wrap: whole wheat tortilla with hummus, red peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes and lettuce. Add a snack bag of baked lays and you're set!
  6. Soup: There's a brand called Amy's in our store and it's an organic soup with very low sodium (well, the low-sodium ones are). They have loads of fiber and leave you feeling very satisfied. They are pricier than regular soup, but well worth it.

Examples of a habit to change: Everyone who's been reading the blog knows that I have been trying to become an early riser (thanks to Grandma L's post!) and I'm doing very well at it. This would be an example of a habit to change. Other examples would be:

  1. If you don't eat breakfast-do it!
  2. If you start drinking water too late in the day-change it!
  3. If you don't eat every 4 hours (or 3 hours), start packing snacks!
  4. If you sit on the couch after dinner-get up and do a project (even a small one)
  5. If you rush around in the morning or at night-change your routine so you aren't so stressed!

These are generic examples, but I know that everyone has at least one small habit they would like to change.

Would everyone be willing to get on the blog today and tell a habit they would like to change? Also, pledge to bring your lunch to work for 3 days too!

Happy Monday (even though I'm not really happy about it being monday....)! Have a great day everyone!

4 comments:

suwheat! said...

Ok, looks like I will be the first one to go for it this morning.

Thanks, Katie, for that post -- seems so simple, but I never thought of packing a lunch for myself because I work from home, but it clicked with me this morning while reading your post just how helpful that would be. By lunchtime, I am typically running around like a crazy woman with deadlines (even in my home office), so to have it already prepared -- wow! So simple, so easy, I'm going to do it!

So, yes, I pledge to pack my lunch for the rest of the week. Today won't work, but 3 out of the 4 days left this week -- I WILL DO IT and report back (which is the only way that I will make sure that I do it).

As for the habit that I want to change (and need to change), here we go -- I will start exercising beginning tomorrow. I have no excuses -- I have a treadmill in my bedroom (with a portable DVD player mounted on the shelf in front of it to keep me entertained) and I have a bicycle and the weather is getting better and better everyday, so....

I PROMISE TO START EXERCISING AND I PROMISE TO PACK MY LUNCH 3 DAYS THIS WEEK.

Who is next?

Susan

P.S. Happy Easter -- I wanted to call you all yesterday and the day got away from us. I will call later....

Katie said...

I bring my lunch everyday, which is why I wanted to throw the challenge out to everyone because it's made such a difference! However, I am going to make sure that 3 times this week, I eat my lunch away from my desk...this will be difficult, but I will do it. I know that's really a habit, but since I bring my lunch, I thought i needed to do something on top of pledge that I would bring my lunch this week!

As for the habit I would like to change: I would like to get home and drink 36 ounces of water. Since I've been exercising in the morning, once I get home I don't drink a lot of water so that's a habit I will change this week! 36 ounces a night!

Great job with your pledge, Suwheat! We'll be checking on your progess and cheering you along!

kate said...

Well, I usually bring my lunch 3 or 4 times a week, so that isn't a problem with me....but instead I would like to try and bring something different for lunch....I never change what I have, so I am going to use some of the suggestions in your posting Katie, to try and get some difference in my lunches. As for my habit, I think I want to try and eat breakfast at home instead of gobbling it down at work. I eat way too fast and I need to stop that. And, of course, my water is still an issue, so I need to start drinking water at home instead of waiting to get to work. We'll see how it works !! Thanks for the reminders. (Missed all you guys yesterday !)

Anonymous said...

(This is Grandma L -- somehow my blog password isn't working). Okay, I'm late for yesterday, but I DO PROMISE to pack my lunch 3 days this week and I want to keep moving every night until it is time to go to bed -- if I want to watch TV, I have to exercise while watching it! I did pack my lunch for today, and let's see how I do tonight.